Thursday, July 5, 2012

highland games

Last weekend I was able to go to the Highland Games held in Ceres (which is about 20 minutes outside of where I live.) It was so cool to see in person! Not exactly what I had expected though. There were tons of things going on at once (Highland dancing, caber tossing, biking, running, wrestling, bagpiping competitions, tug of war, etc.) I also wasn't expecting all the modern sports to be included. Here are some pictures and videos from the day! =)

 Highland Dancing
 Throwing a weight over a bar
(not sure what the sport is called!)
 
 Using a pitchfork to throw hay over a bar
(again, I don't know the official name)
 
 St Andrews Highland band

 Caber toss

  Bagpiper
 Wrestling
 
Highland dancing

 Gives you a good idea of how much was going on at once. I am laughing at the end because my friend Liu said if she tried the sport where you throw the weight over the bar, she would probably hit herself in the head.
Caber toss

3 comments:

  1. I think I would like the pitchfork hay toss. Now, wrestling in a kilt should prove interesting. Mom always said she was Scotch-Irish, so these pictures make me proud of that heritage. (I am so glad to see pictures in your blog--for a couple of days there have been no pictures, only empty boxes, on my Facebook.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like bunches of fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathlene and Jessica! I had a lot of fun! Wrestling in kilts was a bit odd! Haha, but I am pretty sure they all had shorts on underneath =P

    ReplyDelete